Free Nunlike Reject is an anagram. It's also a place for writing, pictures, whatever comes to mind. Most of the pictures are of my native Los Angeles. I can't help it. I love it here.

8.13.2010

Review Guidelines

As part of a theatre class I took from Professor Theresa Larkin at Cal State L.A., I had to attend and review ten live performances in ten weeks.   I liked her very much.  This is what I learned.  It was neither taxing, nor expensive and it was a wonderful experience.  Unfortunately, once I was no longer compelled by threat of failing a class, I slowed my pace of attending live performances to a crawl.

I have to say that the requirement to review the performances made me think of them in a much different way.  I learned and gained a great deal more from my experiences that way.  Here are the guidelines for my reviews.

STYLE
Use your own words and your own thoughts. Do not copy another writer's ideas or wording. Be creative and trust your instincts.  You'll get the hang of these one-pages in about 2 to 3 papers - so be patient with yourself and begin to critique.

CONTENT
PARAGRAPH 1:  All introductory information: The name of the play, playwright and or author, leading actors, (if you desire), Producer, Theatre and the date which you view the work.

PARAGRAPH 2: The general information regarding the content of the play.  Cite one of the major elements of:

1.   plot - sequence of actions that promote the development of the story and the relationships of the people
      involved.
2.   character - personalities of the individuals in the story
3.   theme - the message, the meaning and the purpose of the work
4.   music - instrumental, cultural and personal rhythms of the play or people who populate the world of the
      play.
5.   diction - both verbal and non-verbal mode of communication
6.   spectacle - the visual content of the play. Specifically, all environmental staging which includes props,
      stage setting lighting and costumes, scenic design elements and physical elements in relationship to one
      another (mise-en-scene).
7.   convention - the acceptable morality, customs or implied style and mode of behavior given time
      frame, milieu and locations of play.

PARAGRAPH 3: Cite particular elements that stood out to you and why.  Same list as paragraph 2!!!! You may select one to write on!!!! (her exclamation points, not mine).

PARAGRAPH 4: Express your studied opinion and emotion response to the play or film.  Identify whether this work was worthy of your time. Praise or criticize.

PARAGRAPH 5: Summarize what you saw, what you thought about it and complete your critique with a final artistic or philosophical statement.

FOCUS: Have fun, apply yourself and you will do extremely well.

No comments:

Post a Comment